I wanted to see if I could get the self-hosted WordPress.org software installed on an OpenBSD server — the devio.us machine that offers free shell accounts (though I’m not sure if they’re doing that at this exact moment).
It worked. And it did take 5 minutes.
I mucked around on the command line and broke it. Then I took another 5 minutes and reinstalled WordPress.
I broke it a couple more times. That’s what new blogs are for — breaking.
I finally stopped that, and it’s working now.
Update: A few days later I learned that I didn’t break WordPress at all. I was just bitten by a bad .htaccess file a dozen times. Now I know how to fix that and preserve my installation.